September 27, 2022
Emojis have become a popular and powerful way of boosting engagement and communicating with your target audience. The shrug emoji 🤷 is no exception. This emoji is ideal when asking a question or trying to convey confusion or bewilderment. It’s a staple emoji that you’ll find in the social media accounts of all types of businesses.
All that said, the shrug emoji isn’t the first of its kind. Its predecessor, the shrug emotion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, was commonly used across all platforms before emojis ruled the internet. When it comes to typed emoticons, the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ stands out. It’s charming and funny in a way the basic shrug emoji isn’t 🤷.
Using a typed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ over the emoji is a fun way to set your business apart, give your posts more personality, and connect with some audiences through nostalgia. If you don’t know how to type one, don’t worry. Though it’s one of the more complicated emoticons to type, there are ways to simplify it. Here’s everything you need to know to type out the shrug emoticon on all your devices quickly.
Create a Text Replacement Shortcut
You can copy and paste the shrug emoticon into your content whenever you want to use the shrug emoticon. The only problem with this is that it can be time-consuming, so it’s not realistic for people who want to use it frequently. If you don’t think you’d have the time or patience to search for the emoticon or physically type it out, we have the solution for you.
The key to mastering the shrug emoticon is to create a text replacement shortcut. Most devices allow you to create a shortcut using your device’s autocorrect feature. If you don’t know how to take advantage of this feature, please scroll below to find step-by-step instructions for your device.
Type the Shrug Emoji on iPhone
1. Copy the shrug emoticon here — “¯\_(ツ)_/¯ “
2. Go to Settings, then General, then Keyboard
3. Select Text Replacement
4. Choose the “+” button
5. Type “shrug” in the Shortcut field
6. Paste “¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ” in the Phrase field
Type the Shrug Emoji on Android
1. Copy the shrug emoticon here – “¯\_(ツ)_/¯ “
2. Go to your text message keyboard
3. Select the three dots
4. Go to Settings, then Dictionary
5. Press Text Shortcuts (Samsung device) or Personal Dictionary (Google Pixel)
6. Choose your language
7. Press the “+”
8. Type “shrug” in the Shortcut field
9. Select the ” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯” that appears on the keyboard
Type the Shrug Emoji on Mac
1. Copy the shrug emoticon here – “¯\_(ツ)_/¯”
2. Go to System Preferences, then Keyboard, then Text
3. Type “shrug” in the Replace box
4. Paste “¯\_(ツ)_/¯”‘ in the With box
Type the Shrug Emoji on Windows
Windows don’t offer an autocorrect feature, so you won’t be able to create a shortcut like you normally would. That said, there are programs, like PhraseExpress, that can help you set up text replacement shortcuts on Windows.